The Global Recycling Foundation supports the promotion of recycling, and the recycling industry, across the world to showcase its vital role in preserving the future of the planet.
Our mission is to fund educational and awareness programmes, which focus on the sustainable and inclusive development of recycling, across the world.
“The role of the Foundation is to show the world that Recycling is a collective endeavour, crucial for the future of the planet. No-one can act in isolation and it is imperative we engage the widest population possible, from BIR members to world leaders, businesses to individuals – no matter where they are located. The establishment of the Global Recycling Foundation will underpin this mission, and ensure a global approach, supporting joint initiatives and achieving goals to foster better recycling practices into the future.”
Ranjit S Baxi, Founding President, Global Recycling Foundation
The Global Recycling Foundation will promote and support the global recycling industry in its mission to showcase recycling’s crucial role in preserving the planet’s future. It will do this via fundraising, joint ventures, and our spotlight activity Global Recycling Day.
Everything we do will focus on innovation, education, progress and action.
To ensure recycling remains at the heart the environmental wellbeing of our planet, the Global Recycling Foundation has nine primary goals:
- To support and celebrate Global Recycling Day each year on March 18th
- Promote the importance of prioritising the Seventh Resource.
- Foster the promotion of recycling across the world, support and share best practices and innovation.
- Protect biodiversity.
- Commit to and promote eco responsibility and the circular economy.
- Encourage responsible, sustainable and inclusive environment actions to benefit ecological developments.
- Support statistical, economic, and social studies in the field of recycling.
- Support research and innovation in the field of recycling.
- Support educational programmes, university and scientific research in the field of recycling.
Seventh Resource Manifesto
The Seventh Resource Manifesto, originally launched in late 2017, is a route map to a new way of thinking about resource and the circular economy. Read by world leaders and stakeholders at the forefront of the circular economy, it has been revisited for 2019 and can be downloaded by clicking on the link below.
The Bureau of International Recycling (BIR)
The Global Recycling Foundation is supported by the Bureau of International Recycling (BIR). Founded in 1948, BIR was the first federation to support the interests of the recycling industry on an international scale. Today, BIR represents over 760 member companies from the private sector and 36 national associations in more than 70 countries. Together, these members form the largest international recycling federation.
The Bureau of International Recycling promotes materials recycling and facilitates free and fair trade of recyclables in a sustainable and competitive world economy, offering its members timely information about the international recycling markets, their legislative context and the latest technologies.